Followers

Monday, August 17, 2009

SURPRISE!!!



One of our chickens came up missing for 3 weeks, so we just figured she had gotten killed. I decided to check under the silo because Rhett said he had seen her in the yard once. Sure enough she was under there sitting on a nest. These type of chickens are not even suppose to sit on their eggs. So a few days past and when I went to the coop to feed the chicken was in there with 2 of her baby chicks. It was quite the surprise to find baby chicks in the coop. I went and looked under the silo to see if there were anymore under there. There was about 10 more eggs that hadn't hatched yet. So I called a hatchery and asked them if she would go back and finish sitting on the rest of them. Unfortunately being a new mom and not knowing what to do she would not return to the nest. Rhett and I tried to reach the other eggs so I could incubate them but they were to far under the silo. It was sad that the others did not make it. But at least we have 2 healthy baby chicks that are so very cute! To make it even more interesting, I only could see one broken egg under the silo. And the chicks are smaller then regular chicks. Also our chickens are well known for laying over sized eggs with 2 yokes. So I have come to the conclusion that they are TWINS!!!

No comments: